Monday, August 30, 2004
What is the difference between the telephone and the computer? For the purposes of this discussion, let us consider the telephone as it was before the wireless revolution.
- The telephone is a utility that connects to an intelligent network. When phones were land lines, telephones were interchangeable.
- The computer has intelligence built in.
What is the major philosophical difference between the two richest Information Technology billionaires - Bill Gates (Microsoft) and Larry Ellison (Oracle)?
- Bill Gates supports computers that run software based on Windows.
- Larry Ellison wants the intelligence to be centralized onto the Internet which is accessed by Internet machines that are closer to telephones. "If the Internet turns out not to be the future of computing, we're toast. But if it is, we're golden"
What is the difference in shrink wrap vs. Application Service Providers (ASPs).
- Shrink wrap refers to software that you purchase wrapped in shrink wrap plastic. Shrink wrap requires someone to pull off the shrink wrap and load the software.
- ASPs are application service providers that reside on the Internet and can be accessed by computers, internet machines, and even PDAs and cell phones.
The PC creates challenges and problems because is has software and data that resides within it. It is a Data Center. It is the Bill Gates model.
If the SOHO is using a PC, then the SOHO has a data center and must support the computer.